Skip to content
- The building predates its use as a tavern. The oldest portion was constructed in 1730 by Timothy Matlack Sr. The newest portion of the structure was built circa 1830 to accommodate coal heating of the building.
- The building operated as a tavern from the spring of 1777 until 1873, providing locals and travelers food and drink, lodging, and lively conversation. Alcohol was served until 1873 when Haddonfield became a dry community.
- New Jersey’s newly formed patriot government met at the Indian King Tavern from Jan. 1777 to Sept of that same year. Here, legislators passed laws governing elections, courts, and Townships, and struggled to wage war against an occupying army.
- This historic building is New Jersey’s first state-owned historic site (1903). It was acquired as the result of petitioning by the Haddonfield Chapter of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) to the New Jersey State legislators.
- Today, the building serves the community at large as a museum connecting the public to our revolutionary past. The museum is open most Wednesdays through Sundays.